(Term Position to June 30, 2023)
The Northwest Territories Teachers’ Association (NWTTA) is a professional organization of approximately 900 teachers from three (3) distinct bargaining units who are employed within the Northwest Territories’ publicly funded school system.
With the support of the President and five (5) professional staff, operating out of a central office located in Yellowknife, the NWTTA offers a broad range of services to its membership.
The Administrative Assistant provides confidential professional administrative support to NWTTA Central Office staff and assistance to members. The position will include, but is not limited to: administrative duties, office management and ensuring the workplace runs smoothly on a day‐to‐day basis.
Through a combination of training, expertise and qualifications, this person will possess:
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy, organizational skills and ability to prioritize;
- Excellent communication skills in both verbal and written forms;
- Ability to work tactfully with people in a respectful and professional manner;
- Self‐motivated, takes initiative and strives for high quality outcomes;
- Experience taking meeting minutes;
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office, in
particular Word, Excel and Outlook. Proficiency with Desktop Publishing
Software for example Microsoft Publisher and Adobe InDesign is considered an asset.
The Administrative Assistant duties will include but are not limited to the following:
- Answering phone calls, emails or forward to the appropriate person;
- Meet, greet and assist all visitors and guests to Central Office;
- Receiving and distributing incoming and outgoing mail;
- Compose, edit, format and proofread correspondences and materials;
- Create and prepare a variety of documents such as forms, templates, reports, meeting agendas and minutes;
- Maintaining an updated list of necessary contacts and providers;
- Collaborating with the creation and distribution of the NWTTA newsletter;
- Arrange travel and accommodation for meetings and conferences;
- Arrange venue, facilities and catering for meetings;
- Maintaining office and promotional stock levels and inventory;
- Act as NWTTA Safety Officer to monitor and identify any safety issues;
- Arrange for building and grounds maintenance;
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
This is a Full‐Time, Term position from Monday to Friday, 37.5 hours a week.
There will be infrequent but planned meetings during a couple of weekends.
The position offers a competitive salary and a full range of benefits.
Location: NWTTA Central Office, 5018‐48 Street, Yellowknife, NWT
Interested applicants must submit applications through email to the NWTTA Executive Director, David Murphy, at firstname.lastname@example.org, including a cover letter, resume and contact details for three (3) professional references, one of which must be from your most recent supervisor.
Typically, the qualifications for this position would be attained by an
Administrative/Secretarial Diploma or Certificate with a minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience. Equivalencies will be considered.
Application Deadline: January 8, 2023, at 5:00 pm (Mountain time)
The successful applicant shall provide a current criminal record check prior to hiring.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
NWT Teachers’ Association